, , , , , , ,

(I apologise so much for having not written. Especially this, however it would seem that when I first sat down to write it, Writer’s block came and took over my soul. Then, the following weeks, I managed to not be home a lot and lose power. So, without further ado… a 3.5 week overdue blog post on a wedding I went to!)

You have known each other from the first glance of acquaintance to this point of commitment. At some point, you decided to marry. From that moment of yes, to this moment of yes, indeed, you have been making commitments in an informal way. All of those conversations that were held in a car, or over a meal, or during long walks – all those conversations that began with, “When we’re married”, and continued with “I will” and “you will” and “we will” – all those late night talks that included “someday” and “somehow” and “maybe” – and all those promises that are unspoken matters of the heart. All these common things, and more, are the real process of a wedding.” -Robert Fulghum, Union.

I bet you read that and you were puzzled, weren’t you? You were probably thinking, “Well that’s great and all, but what does it have to do with a food blog?” Funny, I was really thinking “How am I going to tie all of this together for this week’s post?” I knew from the start of writing this week, that my theme would be weddings. My Uncle Zak got married to Raegan. On Saturday, October 15th, they said their “I Do’s” after saying some of the most beautiful vows I’ve ever heard.

With their “I Do’s” out of the way, let’s talk food, shall we? 

Friday night after the rehearsal, dinner was scheduled for 6:30. At 6:15, I was in the lobby by the bar, mingling with family and meeting new people. When dinner was served in the hotel’s banquet hall, I was surprised to see Lasagna set in front of me. I remember mum mentioning it ages ago, when the wedding was still merely just, well, there. It was well displayed, a perfect square of lasagna on a white dish, no garnish. As far as taste, I won’t lie, my mom makes lasagna wheels and they’re, loads better. But don’t get me wrong, it was still good, it just wasn’t my mum’s home cooking. We could have been given half of what was on the plate and it still would have been filling. Especially since we’d have salad to start and a slice of carrot cake (which was absolutely delicious) and coffee to finish. 

Saturday, after a wet ceremony (seriously, people were getting weepy [myself included] and it did rain), we made our way up the park to the hall where the ceremony was being held. It was lovely. My sister and I mingled some more while appetizers were being brought around, nothing caught my interest though (sorry). I mean, the pot stickers looked divine, as did the miniature I don’t even know what to call them, they were described as “heaven on a bun” by my grandfather, but nothing caught my eye. I didn’t have too much of an appetite, unfortunately. While my sister and I sipped coffee and socialised, many others were getting cheeses from a table set in another room, sitting by the fireplace to warm up, taking pictures, you know, things you do at a wedding reception. When the Bride’s Maids, Groom’s Men, Bride and Groom were announced and the Bride and Groom had their first dance (which was to the most beautiful song, let me say), things were looking up. People were stopping by the “Head Table” where the bride and groom were happily seated, talking, laughing. It was around that time, after the toasts, that the food was served. The first course, instead of salad, was this really odd bisque. I have no idea what flavour it was, all I knew it was orange and thicker than any soup I’d ever seen. I gave it a go and found that it’s flavour was familiar, yet slightly out of range of my memory to put a label to it. A short time later, our plates were brought to us. My sister had the steak, I had the duck. I’ve never had duck before, but it was good, albeit a bit tough. I don’t know if that’s from over cooking it, but the flavours from the duck blended beautifully with the medley of vegetables served with it. Unlike most weddings I’ve been to, there wasn’t actually a cake to have. Well, there was, but it was interesting. Let me explain. Most Weddings have these big cakes (2-4 layers of goodness) this one had the structure, but the bottom layers of the cake were actually composed of cupcakes, and various kinds too, made by the Bride. There were interesting flavoured cupcakes. Bacon and Buckeye cupcakes. Just… not in the same cupcake of course. However, I didn’t have time to sample either of the cupcakes as there was dancing to be done. I’ll admit, it took a while to be coaxed onto the dance floor, but once there, I found it hard to leave, even if I am awful at dancing, haha. 

Sunday, after the Wedding, everyone was tired. I didn’t wake up until close to 1:30 in the afternoon. Even when we got to my grandfather’s for food and family time, everyone was crashing. My sister Sydney, who was still “coked out” on caffeine from the Wedding (she had 6 cups of coffee) was passed out until easily 6 in the afternoon. I enjoyed cuddling in a sweatshirt and being anti-social in the living room while everyone talked in the kitchen. Things, however, were making a turn for the best when my grandfather suggested an ice cream run to none other than J. Foster’s ice cream emporium. After being couped up in the house and feeling like I was under everyone’s feet, it was the perfect escape with my grandfather, Aunt Donna and Aunt Grace. At the ice cream emporium I got to sample loads of different types of ice cream, my favourite happening to be the “Cookie Monster”. It was blue with chunks of cookie dough and oh my goodness, it was so good. Among other samples were Kahlua toffee crunch (very delicious), bacon gelato (eww), caramel coffee ice cream (one of my favourites since I’d had caramel coffee twist gelato in Paris) and vanilla, haha. Dinner that night was standard cook out, there was chicken, burgers, beans, etc. All being eaten around a toasty bonfire. 

Needless to say, by the end of the night, when we had to say goodbyes to family who we probably wouldn’t see until another wedding, I was happy the weekend was over. The wedding was beautiful, my now-aunt being one of the most beautiful brides I’d seen. It was great to catch up with family, even meet new family and friends of the Bride and Groom. It was lovely to try new foods, carrot cake, bisque, duck and bacon ice cream. But at the end of the weekend, I just wanted to curl up and let my thoughts drift to the weekend to be remembered from the peace and quiet of a hot bathtub soaking my sore feet. After all, the bride and groom were newly married, surely there will be more times to celebrate than in the course of the first (and most stressful) 72 hours.

So, here’s to you, Zak & Raegan, it’s been almost a month already, let there be many, many more, each filled with happiness and memories for you both to look back and smile upon in the years to come. 

Xx Chef Out.