4 Hot Sausage Links, whole
1 Red Pepper, seeded, sliced
1 Green Pepper, seeded, sliced
1.5 medium onion, chopped, divided
(hoagie roll) (optional)
- Place sausage carefully in hot oil, adding 1/4 cup water after. Cover and let simmer for 12 minutes on medium-high heat.
- While the sausage cooks, if you haven’t already, chop up the onion and add it to the sausage, recovering the mixture.
- While the sausage cooks and the onions caramelise, proceed to, if you haven’t already, seeding and chopping the peppers into 1/8 inch strips, or about the width of your index & middle finger combined, if you like them thicker. Set aside.
- After the initial 12 minutes, stir the sausage and onion mixture, recovering and lowering the heat. Let it cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- When the onions and peppers have cooked, take them from the pan and set aside in a bowl. The onions will have caramelised and stick to the sausage, it’s completely normal.
- In that same pan, add the peppers and additional onion and 1/4 cup water, recovering with the heat on medium high heat. Let braise for 30 minutes or until peppers are fork tender.
- Serve either with pasta, rice, or on a sandwich roll, warm.